Wood County Electric Cooperative has recently replaced all meters to a proven system that offers many advantages, including remote disconnect/reconnect, better outage detection, “blink” troubleshooting, meter tampering detection, and eventually the ability for members to remotely view their own usage details. Main features of the system are:
- Reduced operating expenses, helping to keep rates low:
- Reduces the number of cooperative vehicles on the road, saving fuel and time.
- Detects and pinpoint electricity theft.
- Produces valuable data to help us work with individual members to lower kWh consumption.
- Removse guesswork from designing electrical facilities:
- Ensurse efficient and effective investments in new power lines, substations, etc.
- Reduces line loss.
- Increases reliability and customer service.
- Better data helps WCEC proactively prevent outages.
- Ability for queries speeds restoration.
- Members location transfers and connects/disconnects can be processed in real time.
These digital meters are integrated with customer service, billing, engineering, and outage computer systems. They are secure and provide greater privacy by eliminating most on-premises visits.
We’re confident the new meters WCEC has selected offer enormous benefits for both the members and the cooperative. However, some members may have concerns based on rumor. Seemingly legitimate but unscientific and unsupported criticisms or claims have raised concerns about privacy and/or health. You can read more about that here: Privacy & Health Concerns
For those members that choose, we do offer a non-standard meter option. Members may download the Non-Standard Meter form to learn more and complete the form.